Tuesday, January 13, 2009

I Respect Katie's Kouture.

Amidst the thick crowd of doe-eyed freshmen at Newman Smith High School, Katie Dale entered my life as a bubbly, friendly cheerleader. Normally, this is where I would take a dramatic twist and present a dark, sensationalist turn by saying "Today, she is a serial killer." Alas, she is in no way a serial killer, a baby seal clubber, or a slumlord. In fact, as I recently learned, Katie started a philanthropic venture called Katherine Kouture, a line of reasonably priced handmade jewelry. With a percentage of each sale donated to Breast Cancer research and awareness, Katie and her jewelry are charming accessories to advocacy.

I'm not necessarily shocked that the bubbly cheerleader I met 10 years ago would start something like this. With the exception of Doogie Howser, MD, what high school freshman knows what the hell they'll be doing in a decade? I had no idea what I'd be doing then and I'm going to go out on a limb and say neither did she. However, today I do know that I am proud to have someone with these socially conscientious ambitions as a friend. We haven't actually talked in quite some time, but I'm in the mood to give mad props. Thanks for doing what you're doing, Katie.

Aside from that one time on New Year's Eve, I know absolutely nothing about women's jewelry, but you can check out the pieces for yourself at www.katherinekouture.com.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Aw Andrew! I love it! Thank you so much!!!

Katie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.