Despite the fact that she's all the way in Israel, the woman you are about to meet is someone very near and dear to my heart. Thanks to the internets and her persistent effort to keep in touch, the physical distance from Sally Glass is a little easier to cope with. She's so well-loved around these parts, I'm surprised that nobody has formed a help group yet.
Before she set off to explore the world and kick its ass, Sally's flash could be seen at pretty much every DJ night, Dance Party and live show worth going to in big D. On your luckiest of nights, you might have caught her playing music at the Cavern, in Oak Cliff at Decorazon, or on your couch.
She's too humble to ever admit it, but Sally is a regular renaissance woman with a propensity to melt your face and heart with photos, words, music, hair and glasses. Having known Sally for quite a while now, I've had the pleasure of seeing these attributes evolve, ebb, and flow under her earnest command. Constantly testing her own character by travelling, writing, shooting, flailing her hair about wildly and the like, Sally has the gumption to question who she is--and witnessing her figure that out creatively is a sight to behold.
There's no official date quite yet, but you should prepare yourself for the welcome home party of a lifetime when she gets back. Until then, try and keep up with her relentless endeavor to discover, learn, create, and inspire.
Plus, it's her birthday today!
Meet Sally Glass.
Name: Sally Glass
Additional Website / Blog: www.blackmarketfunnelcakes.blogspot.com
1. Are you a practicing artist?
(If yes, please describe your work in a sentence or two. If no, please describe your connection/interest in the arts community).
this is hard. i don't really consider myself an artist. but i don't know if that means anything. i take photos a lot. that drives me every day. i record songs sometimes. i write short stories sometimes. i started writing a film with my roommate and third-half in israel (not very much progress yet). i'm just out of my mind.
2. What is your primary artistic medium?
canon 30d, the spaces between my thoughts
3. What do you dabble in (artistically)?
jazz flute, homesickness, short story composition
4. Where do you live (generally, not creepily)?
shivat zion 3, ramla, israel
5. Aside from your studio, what physical, local space inspires you the most?
physically, this one cliff overlooking the mediterranean sea across the street from some friends' flat near natanya. sunset times at that location take me to another time and place. we play music together, make and eat food together. the people there are so generous and welcoming. it's like having a family. we call it 'the shoshana'.
6. What is your favorite part of town?
read above and below
7. Norm had Cheers. The gang on Saved by the Bell had The Maxx. Where would you be considered a "regular?"
an indian restaurant/bar/guesthouse called the sub kuch milega. it's like a second, comfortable home. the people there are so sweet and amazing and there's always someone to have a conversation with and unexpected wonderfulness to be had. we go there any day of the week, every week. it's also open 24 hours a day. perfection. we sleep there, eat there, drink there, fall in love there. that's the place.
8. What is your (alcoholic) beverage of choice?
guinness or scotch on the rocks
9. What is your (non-alcoholic) beverage of choice?
hot tea (chai, green, herbal, gay)
10. What would your last supper consist of?
Glass (i don't know why, but this filled in automatically. i'm leaving it.)
11. What 3 famous artists (visual artists, actors, directors, writers, musicians etc.), dead or alive, inspire you the most?
oh man. off the top of my head: miranda july is great. all of her work is so expository and fucking hilarious with no care for other's thoughts at all. i'm really inspired by sarah maple's art. it's so conceptually controversial, but execution-wise just so amazingly accessible and inclusive. like we're all in on the joke. also, bjork is someone that just blows me away. she doesn't give a fuck what other people think. her music is gorgeous and inventive in ways that i can't even imagine. and that eccentric voice. so strong and vulnerable. she's incredible. wow, all women. that's sweet.
12. What 3 almost-famous people, artists or non-artists, dead or alive inspire you the most?
so many people inspire me on a daily basis, but i have to include diane arbus in this category even though she's not really famous because i omitted her in the last category. the courage and passion she exhibited in her photography and her life is inspiring beyond measure. she went above and beyond, pushing her comfort level past the point of no return. just to get that shot. andrew tolentino and his diverse, wildly imaginative, just-do-it approach to every artistic endeavor he attempts. and they are infinite and injected with his passion and humor for life. aaaaaaaaaaaand also alli nicole mickens. she inspires me everyday to be a braver, kinder, happier, more loving human being.
13. Name 3 bands/musicians that you dig immensely:
goddamnit you know i can't do this:
2) neil young
3) joanna newsom
1) elliott smith
it's too hard.
14. Name 3 movies that you dig immensely:
ok top of my head:
1) darjeeling limited
2) me and you and everyone we know
3) eternal sunshine of the spotless mind
(i know, really common hipster selection but they're amazing.)
15. What book(s) are you currently reading?
book of short stories by roald dahl
16. Do you work a "regular" 9-5 job?
i don't remember the last time i worked a regular 9-5 job. that's the goal. i'm irregular.
17. How long have you lived where you live?
ramla, israel: almost 6 months
18. At what time of the day do you feel most creative?
the wee hours in the morning after lots and lots of tea
19. If you went to college, what was your major?
20. If you went to college, what was your minor?
driving to dallas
21. In a haiku, please describe a memory from childhood.
we hid in the shade
the leaves covered our faces
i have never left
22. Are you a Texan?
23. What are 3 things that you love (or miss) about Texas?
1) my family and friends
2) driving anywhere anytime to anything and having it be the time of my life
3) andrew tolentino
4) chicken tortilla soup from cantina laredo
5) seeing great bands/art all the time
6) playing music
(i get more than 3. i'm entitled because i've been gone a long time. i'll fight you.)
24. Name 3 authors that you dig immensely:
1) bob dylan
2) sylvia plath
3) dr. hunter s.
25. What are 3 questions that you would like answered by the next person who takes this survey?
1) what is one piece of artwork in existence (any type) over the entire span of time and space that you wish you had created (and why)?
2) when in your life do you feel you create the most meaningful art?
3) do you ever experience "writer's block", and if so, how do you deal with it?
26. Anything else you would like to add?
i like this feeling. and i even cheated.
Photo by: Dylan Hollingsworth