Will Yarbrough (William Claiborne Yarbrough III to his friends) is a legend. For years, I did not know if Will actually existed or if he was just an extension of my imagination that entertained my demented ideas. As it turns out, Will does exist, and I have the proof.
If you read this blog with some frequency (if you click on a link that I shove down your throat via facebook/myspace), you've probably seen some of Will's handy work in the "Conversations with Will" series. He and I developed a seriously twisted bond back in high school where we would create nonsensical tales by passing a notebook back and forth during various lectures.
He has taken his knack for being spontaneously hilarious and a multi-faceted knowledge base in to the real world as a web developer by day at a marketing firm and by night at his own venture, Vesper Web Design. Despite the fact that he's got a heart of gold and that he's the most loyal friend anyone could ever had, he's a martial arts expert and he'll kick your ass in a heartbeat (he actually kicked my ass from Austin 3 times while I was writing this introduction).
Having known Will for a large chunk of my life, I have had the opportunity to work with him in a variety of ways on a countless number of projects. Before I had immediate access to the internet, I can honestly say that Will acted as a human search engine on many occasions, answering questions ranging from alternative contraceptives to the dangers of sword swallowing.
Prepare yourself for the Yarbitron...
Name: William Yarbrough
Additional Website / Blog: www.wcyarbrough.com/blog/
1. Are you a practicing artist?
(If YES, please describe your work in a sentence or two. If NO, please describe your connection/interest in the arts community).
I am a graphic designer and Web developer
2. What is your primary artistic medium?
3. What do you dabble in (artistically)?
4. Where do you live (generally, not creepily)?
5. Aside from your studio, what physical, local space inspires you the most?
The constant logo changes of the clubs which come and go every few weeks right off 6th street here in Austin.
6. What is your favorite part of town?
Downtown amongst dimly lit streets: neon, smoke, the smell of cooling concrete and music blaring out of cheap clubs
7. Norm had Cheers. The gang on Saved by the Bell had The Maxx. Where would you be considered a "regular?"
The Pub a few blocks from my place
8. What is your (alcoholic) beverage of choice?
9. What is your (non-alcoholic) beverage of choice?
I don't understand.
10. What would your last supper consist of?
sushi, tons of raw fish
11. What 3 famous artists (visual artists, actors, directors, writers, musicians etc.), dead or alive, inspire you the most?
The Crystal Method (electronic virtuosos), Max Miedinger (creator of Helvetica), Marcel Duchamp (dadaist performer/artist)
12. What 3 almost-famous people, artists or non-artists, dead or alive inspire you the most?
Winston Churchill (PM of England), V (anarchist), Bansky (graffiti artist)
13. Name 3 bands/musicians that you dig immensely:
Plump DJs, Crystal Method, Daft Punk
14. Name 3 movies that you dig immensely:
Star Wars (the first 3), Aliens (with the "s"), Spaceballs (Moranisesque)
15. What book(s) are you currently reading?
Cryptonomicon (Stevenson), Spook Country (Gibson), Goldfinger (Flemming)
16. Do you work a "regular" 9-5 job?
17. How long have you lived where you live?
18. At what time of the day do you feel most creative?
12am - 4:45am
19. If you went to college, what was your major?
20. If you went to college, what was your minor?
Chemistry, Japanese, Spanish, Philosophy
21. In a haiku, please describe a memory from childhood.
Warm sun and the heat
lessons in mouldy old books
read and swim all day
22. Are you a Texan?
23. What are 3 things that you love (or miss) about Texas?
Tacos, Creativity, Live music in shitty venues
25. Anything else you would like to add?
Never stop looking for something that scares/ frightens/ disgusts you so much you can't stop staring at it. Then take that thing and make it a part of your aesthetic.
Next Up: (Surprise!)