Saturday, January 17, 2009

Meet Cara Michelle Smith.

The first time Cara came over to hang out on one of our infamous Shakespeare nights, I asked her what she wanted to drink. "Whiskey," she replied. "And Coke? On the rocks?" I inquired. "Just whiskey," Cara confirmed. After she put my drink (a Beer Stein of wine) to shame and one-upped me a few times in a game of crassness,
I knew that I had met someone special.

In between crude jokes, Cara and I exchanged thoughts on art, dreamed up a few social experiments, and recommended inspirational innovators to one another. I can't count the number of times we've shared creative epiphanies and recent findings over the counter at the coffee shop where she works.

When she's not making satanically hot lattes, Cara is out shooting (shutter, not revolver) or working on her BFA up in Denton. Despite her insane commute, she manages to make time for collaboration and cultivating some of the most twisted ideas on the planet. Cara is the first Dallas area artist in this interview series, and I feel lucky to call her a partner in creative crime. Equipped with unyielding desire to envision an idea and tenacious ability to actualize, Cara keeps me on my toes to say the least.

Prepare your feet and your brain for Cara Smith.

Name:
Cara Michelle Smith
Website: www.cmsphotography.tumblr.com
Blog: www.flickr.com/photos/n217cs

1. Are you a practicing artist?
(If YES, please describe your work in a sentence or two. If NO, please describe your connection/interest in the arts community).
I am definitely PRACTICING. I hope to be able to consider myself a true artist one day. Until then, practice makes something along the lines of perfect, right?
As far as I can tell, my medium is photography. It seems to be the craft that gives me the least amount of ogeda. All in all however, I adore all art, artists, and everything in between.

2. What is your primary artistic medium?
Photography

3. What do you dabble in (artistically)?
Collage, poetry, furniture design

4. Where do you live (generally, not creepily)?
I live in a place I can't afford and am hoping for a massive downgrade soon! (Denton here I come!)

5. Aside from your studio, what physical, local space inspires you the most?
Seeing as how I have no studio I must find inspiration elsewhere. Typically though, as it goes, I find inspiration in a moment. Mainly all those times when I wish I had my camera.
I also am very much a thinker. I walk from here to there completely oblivious of my surroundings most of the time because I am so inside my own head. So my imagination does a lot of my work for me.

6. What is your favorite part of town?
I miss Oaklawn... like... whoa.

7. What is your (alcoholic) beverage of choice?
Gin (Aqua Vitae!)

8. What is your (non-alcoholic) beverage of choice?
Hot tea with honey and milk.

9. What would your last supper consist of?
(For some reason my computer auto-filled my last name in as the answer to this question. Technology is such an ass-hat. Very funny Mr. Mac!)

10. What 3 famous artists (visual artists, actors, directors, writers, musicians etc.), dead or alive, inspire you the most?
It's hard to narrow it to only 3 but...
1. Philip-Lorca diCorcia
2. Wolfgang Tillmans
3. Emily Gutherie Smith (my great-grandmother and original inspiration)

12. What 3 non-famous people, artists or non-artists, dead or alive inspire you the most?
1. Liss LaFleur (http://lisslafleur.deluxe.livebooksedu.com/)
2. Alan Aryanpur (and he will never know it)
3. Andrew Tolentino (the one and only)

13. Name 3 bands/musicians that you dig immensely:
1. Okkervil River
2. Wolf Parade
3. Sparklehorse

14. Name 3 movies that you dig immensely:
1. The Big Lebowski
2. Full Metal Jacket
3. Amelie

15. What book are you currently reading?
god is not Great by Christopher Hitchens

16. Do you work a "regular" 9-5 job?
Nope.

18. How long have you lived where you live?
Almost a year.

20. If you went to college, what was your major?
Currently working on a BFA in Photography at UNT

22. In a haiku, please describe a memory from childhood.
Drunk on sweet Mai-Tais
All of us sloshed, lil bro puked
Disneyworld vacay

23. Are you a Texan?
Hell Yes.

24. What are 3 things you love (or miss) about Texas?
1. the Hill country
2. the big sky
3. family

Next Up: William Yarbrough

No comments: